New Suspects Found in McCann Case

Police probe reveals new names, but will Portugal investigate?

By Ruth Brown,  Newser Staff

Posted May 17, 2013 2:33 PM CDT

(Newser) – And the search for Madeleine McCann is on again: Police have produced a new list of suspects in the case of the toddler who went missing in Portugal in 2007, following a lengthy and expensive new review, the Telegraph reports. "There is more than a handful of people of interest which could be explored further if only to be eliminated," said DCS Hamish Campbell from Scotland Yard, who maintains McCann could still be alive. Now police just have to convince authorities in Portugal to pick up the investigation once again.

Thirty officers spent two years combing through papers and evidence, and detectives traveled to Portugal 10 times to complete the inquiry, which cost a reported $3 million, the Guardian reports. But so far, Portugal's attorney general has refused to reopen the probe. "The Portuguese hopefully will pursue some of these investigative opportunities with our assistance," said Campbell. "You only have to look at the case in Cleveland, Ohio ... Of course, there is a possibility she is alive, you cannot exclude it."

Photos of four year old missing child Madeleine McCann and an age progression computer generated image of her at 9 years old.
Photos of four year old missing child Madeleine McCann and an age progression computer generated image of her at 9 years old.   (AP Photo/Metropolitan Police/Teri Blythe)
Three-year-old British girl Madeleine McCann.
Three-year-old British girl Madeleine McCann.   (AP Photo/McCann Family, File)
« Prev« Prev | Next »Next » Slideshow
My TakeCLICK BELOW TO VOTE
2%
22%
15%
55%
2%
4%
To report an error on this story, notify our editors.

NEWS FROM OUR PARTNERS
Other Sites We Like:   The Street   |   24/7 Wall St.   |   BuzzFeed   |   Cracked   |   World History Project   |   POPSUGAR Tech   |   Business Insider   |   HuffPost Entertainment