Neil Patrick Harris hosted the Tony Awards for the fourth time last night, so needless to say, there were quite a few entertaining moments. One came right at the beginning, when NPH opened the show with a big musical number ... involving Mike Tyson, who brought big cheers and, Mashable concludes, stole the show. More highlights from the evening:
- The big winners: Kinky Boots, Best Musical (and the most wins of the night, with six); Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike, Best Play; Billy Porter, Kinky Boots, Best Lead Actor in a Musical; Patina Miller, Pippin, Best Lead Actress in a Musical; Tracy Letts, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Best Lead Actor in a Play; Cicely Tyson, The Trip to Bountiful, Best Lead Actress in a Play (her first Tony win, after a 30-year absence from the stage, the Los Angeles Times reports). Click for a complete list of winners.
- Which means a few big names did not win: Notably Tom Hanks, who was up for Best Lead Actor in a Play for his role in Nora Ephron's Lucky Guy.
- Harris teases his colleagues: NPH, who of course is on the still-running How I Met Your Mother, brought a bunch of Broadway actors onstage to bemoan (while singing, of course) their canceled TV shows. The Atlantic Wire deems it Harris' best bit of the evening, though there were many other good ones.
- And one kinda-gross one: Harris french kissed Sunny, the dog from Annie, onstage. Enough said.
- The closer: Not to be outdone by his own opener, Harris' closing number ... was a rap. He and Audra McDonald did their own version of Jay-Z and Alicia Keys' "Empire State of Mind," according to the Hollywood Reporter, which also brings us the exciting reminder that Harris is also hosting the Emmys this year.
As for the critics, they liked it, The Week
reports. One even thinks NPH may be on his way to hosting the Oscars.