US /
Culprit in Mystery NC Hotel Deaths: Carbon Monoxide
Hotel had been told to fix ventilation below deadly room
By Rob Quinn, Newser Staff
Posted Jun 11, 2013 4:10 AM CDT
Updated Jun 11, 2013 5:56 AM CDT
The hotel was lacking carbon monoxide alarms, which cost around $30 and can last for 7 years.   (Wikipedia/SineWave)

(Newser) – The cause of three deaths in the same North Carolina hotel room since April is no longer a mystery—but the bigger mystery now is how the third death was allowed to happen. Police have confirmed that carbon monoxide killed an elderly couple in Room 225 of the Best Western in Boone in April, and an 11-year-old boy over the weekend. The source of the poisonous gas has not been confirmed, but police say the room is directly above a room with a natural gas heater for the hotel pool, the Charlotte Observer reports.

In March this year, an inspection found that the pool's chemical and equipment room needed better ventilation. "This needs to be corrected ASAP," the county health inspector wrote. It's not clear why it took two months to complete blood tests on the couple who died in April. A police spokesman says the hotel did not have carbon monoxide alarms, which cost around $30 and are legally required in new homes in the state, but not in hotels. A local restaurateur speaking to CNN summed up the feelings of many in the town. "If you had this happen one time," she said, "why in hell didn't they do something about it?"

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
NC Hotel Deaths Culprit: Carbon Monoxide is...
2%
4%
19%
0%
66%
9%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 18 comments
schmidtkoff
Jun 11, 2013 6:31 PM CDT
Yippee! Some folks are going to get rich fast. Better than the lottery! Can't bring back the loved ones but payday is coming though closure, not so much.
fractal
Jun 11, 2013 2:45 PM CDT
We all know why the hotel didn't do more to prevent this. Capitalism at its finest.
Tology
Jun 11, 2013 11:43 AM CDT
I'll be sure to take Best Western off of the list of hotels I would stay at. If the last person who stayed in my room died in it, I don't want to sleep in their bed, and would really appreciate being told about it. You have to disclose things like that when you sell a house, it should be the same for hotel rooms.