Whether you're one of those people who gets eaten alive by mosquitoes depends on some pretty tangible factors, and Smithsonian Magazine runs down the reasons that make an estimated 20% of us especially delectable to those buzzing little bloodsuckers. Without ado:
- How much booze you drink: Turns out beer goggles aren't just for humans. According to one study, just one bottle of beer can increase your appeal in the insect world. The scientific reasons aren't exactly clear, so we're sticking with beer goggles.
- How pregnant you are: It's just one more discomfort for moms-to-be, but pregnant women get about twice as many bites as other people. That's probably because they're about a degree warmer, and exhale 21% more carbon dioxide.
- What blood type you are: Type O? You get bitten about twice as much as Type A, and Type B is somewhere in the middleground.
- How much you exercise: Working out builds up lactic acid in your sweat and body heat, making you all the more tasty.
- What you're wearing: Skeeters are also looking for you, so wearing eye-catching colors such as black, navy, or red make you stand out, according to one entomologist.
Get the whole list over at Smithsonian.