Indian navy divers today recovered three severely burned bodies of sailors who had been trapped inside a submarine damaged by twin explosions, a navy spokesman said. He added that it was doubtful that any of the other 15 sailors aboard survived. "The bodies are severely disfigured and not identifiable due to severe burns," said the rep, adding that DNA tests would be used to identify the bodies. "However, the navy will continue to search every inch of the submarine until no bodies remain to be found.
The 16-year-old diesel-powered, Russian-made submarine, INS Sindhurakshak, was rocked by two explosions in the torpedo compartment Wednesday that sent huge fireballs into the air. The vessel was partially submerged at Mumbai's naval dock, with a portion visible above the waterline. Reaching trapped sailors was made all the more difficult because the heat of the blast melted some hatch doors shut. Further, the "oily and muddy waters" inside the sub created "total darkness and nil visibility within the submarine even with high power underwater lamps." The navy said there has been no contact from any of the sailors—not even a knock on the hull—since the accident occurred.