Cloaked by Fog, al-Qaeda Stages Yemen Attacks
Militants launch assault on 3 encampments
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Sep 20, 2013 3:15 AM CDT
In this Saturday, Aug. 10, 2013 file photo, Yemeni soldiers man a checkpoint on a street leading to the US and British embassies in Sanaa, Yemen.   (AP Photo/Hani Mohammed, File)

(Newser) – Coordinated attacks by al-Qaeda militants in a southern province have killed at least 38 soldiers and wounded dozens, a Yemeni military official says. The attacks took place at dawn today in Shabwa province, Maj. Raed Mohammed Nasser says; the militants, taking advantage of heavy fog, surprised the troops in barracks in bases in the Maysaa and Kamp areas.

Heavy clashes are still reportedly underway near a third military encampment, in the al-Ain area, where militants detonated a car bomb outside the barracks. Nasser tells the AP that eight militants have also died in the fighting so far. Yemeni authorities are leading a war against al-Qaeda's local branch, considered by Washington as one of the world's most dangerous terror groups.
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
12%
12%
15%
8%
50%
4%