Brothers Charged Over Cantaloupes That Killed 33
Lawyer: Jensens had no knowledge of contamination
By Matt Cantor, Newser User
Posted Sep 27, 2013 4:03 AM CDT
Updated Sep 27, 2013 5:14 AM CDT
In this Sept. 28, 2011, file photo, co-owner Eric Jensen examines cantaloupe on Jensen Farms near Holly, Colo.   (AP Photo/Ed Andrieski, File)

(Newser) – Two cantaloupe growers—brothers Eric and Ryan Jensen, 37 and 33—have been federally charged over the 2011 listeria outbreak that left 33 dead and hundreds of others ill. The brothers, whose family has been farming for four generations, turned themselves in; they pleaded not guilty to six counts of misdemeanor introducing adulterated food into the food supply, the Denver Post reports. Their trial begins in December; each charge could mean a year in prison and a fine of $250,000.

It's unusual for such a case to result in prosecution—particularly if, as the Jensens' lawyer says, they neither "knew" nor "should have known that the cantaloupes had been contaminated." But this case's "magnitude"—it involved people in 28 states—made it different, says a US attorney. Says the daughter of a victim: "I'm glad they were charged. I don't think they did anything on purpose, but I think they had very sloppy farming practices."

View 2 more images
More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Brothers Charged Over Tainted Cantaloupes That Killed 33 is...
2%
16%
10%
14%
9%
49%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 48 comments
JT119
Sep 28, 2013 10:29 AM CDT
RIDICULOUS!
chulupadog
Sep 28, 2013 5:17 AM CDT
I could have had a V-8?
Ivan_the_Gypsy
Sep 28, 2013 12:29 AM CDT
I wonder how far a prosecution would go if the melons came from Mexico. Zilch!