Iran: 'No Need' to Hang Man a Second Time

Execution survivor may get reprieve

By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff

Posted Oct 23, 2013 2:57 AM CDT

(Newser) – The hangman who botched the execution of a drug smuggler in Iran earlier this month might not get a chance to finish the job after all. The country's justice minister says there is "no need" to re-hang the man, who was pronounced dead by a doctor after 12 minutes spent at the end of a rope but was found alive in the prison morgue the next day.

The minister says hanging the man a second time would hurt the country's image, although the final decision will be left to the courts, the BBC reports. But the courts may not have to ponder the bizarre case: The man, a 37-year-old father of two, reportedly fell into a coma yesterday.

Not so fast.   (AP Photo/Amr Nabil)
« Prev« Prev | Next »Next » Slideshow
My TakeCLICK BELOW TO VOTE
16%
9%
16%
28%
13%
17%
To report an error on this story, notify our editors.

NEWS FROM OUR PARTNERS
Other Sites We Like:   The Street   |   MSN Living   |   PopSugar Tech   |   RealClear   |   24/7 Wall St.   |   Biography   |   Barstool Sports   |   OK!