CBS: 'We Were Misled' By Benghazi Source
Network apologizes for 60 Minutes segment
By Kevin Spak,  Newser Staff
Posted Nov 8, 2013 12:58 PM CST

(Newser) – Sure enough, CBS is disowning 60 Minutes' recent Benghazi story, in the wake of an FBI report that discredited its key source. "The truth is we made a mistake," Lara Logan said on CBS This Morning. Logan explained that they'd believed former security officer Dylan Davies (aka Morgan Jones), because they'd verified that he was working for the State Department in Benghazi when the attack hit. "We take the vetting of sources and stories very seriously," Logain said, "but we were misled."

When the Washington Post first raised questions about Davies last week, Logan stood by him. "He never had two stories. He only had one story," she told the New York Times. Today she explained: "He was very up front about [lying to his employer] from the beginning, that was always part of his story. And it—the context of it, when he tells his story is that his boss is someone he cared about enormously. He cared about his American counterparts in the mission that night, and when his boss told him not to go, he couldn't stay back. So that was always part of the record for us. And that part didn't come as any surprise." But the recent revelations about Davies' FBI interview did.
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
36%
15%
2%
25%
0%
23%