Sir Paul Denies Heart Surgery
On website, former Beatle says ticker tests, not angioplasty, was the call
By Caroline Zimmerman,  Newser User
Posted Jan 31, 2008 4:00 PM CST
Paul McCartney gestures as he leaves the High Court in London, in this, March 1, 2007, file photo. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, file)   (Associated Press)
camera-icon View 2 more images

(Newser) – Sir Paul McCartney has publicly denied claims that he was hospitalized for heart surgery, NME reports. Earlier this month, the Sun reported that the legendary former Beatle had undergone a coronary angioplasty. But today, McCartney reassured fans and friends on his website that he had simply been tested for a "minor irregularity," and that he was in fine health.

An anonymous source told the Sun that McCartney's alleged surgery was "routine, but any work on your heart is a big deal." After a flood of concerned calls and texts, it was "time to put this rumour to rest," McCartney writes. But the false report had its upside: "I've secretly been enjoying all the sympathy," he claims.