Christie Aides Pushed Project With Threat: Mayor
Refused to provide Sandy relief without quid pro quo : Dawn Zimmer
By Matt Cantor,  Newser User
Posted Jan 18, 2014 4:10 PM CST
FILE - In this Saturday, Aug. 8, 2009 file photograph, Hoboken Mayor, Dawn Zimmer speaks to the media as she stands near the Hudson River in Hoboken, N.J. Zimmer, mayor of a New Jersey city that sustained...   (AP Photo/Mel Evans,file)

(Newser) – Another New Jersey mayor has launched allegations of corruption at Chris Christie's team. Hoboken mayor Dawn Zimmer told MSNBC today that two top Christie staffers said she couldn't have Sandy relief funds—unless she agreed to a particular redevelopment project. With Hoboken 80% underwater following the hurricane, Zimmer sought $127 million in relief cash. So far, the mayor—who hasn't OKed the redevelopment plan—has received a $142,000 contribution to the cost of one backup generator as well as $200,000 in other grants, MSNBC reports. The site notes that emails, diary entries, and public records back Zimmer's case.

Zimmer says Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno and community affairs commissioner Richard Constable were behind the threat. "It’s not fair for the governor to hold Sandy funds hostage for the City of Hoboken because he wants me to give back to one private developer," Zimmer said on UP w/ Steve Kornacki. Constable's department calls the allegation "categorically false," the Star-Ledger reports, while a Christie rep notes Zimmer's previous praise of the governor: "What or who is driving her only now to say such outlandishly false things is anyone’s guess.” Zimmer's reply: "I’d be more than willing to testify under oath and answer any questions and provide any documents, take a lie detector test."