Brad Pitt Almost Got Sued Over Slave Snub
Paramount felt it should have been offered the film
By Evann Gastaldo,  Newser Staff
Posted Jan 28, 2014 10:01 AM CST
Brad Pitt arrives at the red carpet at the gala for the new movie "12 Years a Slave" during the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival in Toronto on Friday, Sept. 6, 2013.   (AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Nathan Denette)

(Newser) – (More) Hollywood drama: Brad Pitt narrowly managed to avoid a lawsuit from Paramount, according to Page Six's sources. The studio felt it should have been offered 12 Years a Slave by Plan B, Pitt's production company, with whom it had a "first-look deal." Instead, Plan B partner Dede Gardner handed the movie to rival Regency Enterprises, which distributed it via Fox Searchlight. Paramount "felt [Gardner] purposefully didn’t give it to them, and then was bad-mouthing the studio all over town," a source says.

"Paramount’s lawyers wanted to sue," says another insider. "But [CEO] Brad Grey stopped it because of his friendship with Pitt, his respect for [Slave director Steve] McQueen and out of respect for their movie." Oh, and it probably helped that "Pitt reached out to personally apologize to [Grey]," the source says. Grey was one of the co-founders of Plan B (along with Jennifer Aniston), and Plan B worked with Paramount for eight years but signed a three-year deal with Regency late last year. "Some people there feel like they’ve been cheated out of an Oscar," says the first source.