Girl's iPhone Catches Fire in Pants
Teen suffers minor burns in Maine classroom
By John Johnson, Newser Staff | Suggested by Amanda.Matznick
Posted Jan 31, 2014 3:44 PM CST
File photo of an iPhone 5S.   (AP Photo/Steve Helber)

(Newser) – A weird one from Maine, where school officials say a 13-year-old girl suffered first- and second-degree burns when her iPhone caught fire in her pants, reports WMTW. The trouble began when the girl sat down, heard a popping sound from the back pocket where her phone was located, and noticed smoke, reports the Bangor Daily News. The girl's friends asked boys to step outside as she ditched her pants, and a teacher brought a blanket. She was later treated and released from the hospital.

So what happened? Fire officials in Kennebunk are investigating, but one speculates to Seacoast Online that the phone's battery "shorted out" when the girl sat down. “People should obviously use caution when placing their phones in their back pockets so as not to crush them and cause an electrical short,” he says. (There's no official word from Apple after the report.) "I’ve never seen anything like that,” says the principal, who credits the girl with a "stop, drop, and roll" move when the incident happened.

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Girl's iPhone Catches Fire in Pants is...
36%
5%
3%
2%
42%
12%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 42 comments
Ezekiel 25:17
Feb 3, 2014 5:04 PM CST
As much as things change, they always remain the same. So in 1981 we were the computer and math club. Scientific calculators were coming into the norm as we still had some slide rule calculators. So our teacher, Mr.Rodney, had a very tough talk with us about batteries in calculators. He said at a math competition a guy had placed a TI-30 in his coat pocket. As you may know if you see one at a thrift store, the door often falls off. Well the door fell off and it spilled the battery in his coat. The battery then crossed power terminals with the math compass in the pocket and it burst into flames and burned up his jacket. Thus the lesson about your TI-30 and the possible harm it may do you.
Butchy
Feb 3, 2014 11:33 AM CST
Glad I don't have an iPhone.
Lou Bernardo
Feb 2, 2014 1:34 PM CST
Probably the most exciting thing in her life since she became an iPhone zombie.