Texas rapper Pimp C, found dead in a Los Angeles hotel room in December, died from an overdose of prescription cough syrup coupled with a sleep disorder that interrupts breathing, the LA coroner ruled yesterday. The 33-year-old Grammy nominee's death has been ruled an accident, reports the Houston Chronicle. Pimp C, whose real name was Chad Butler, died while he was in town for a concert.
Authorities say cough syrup containing codeine is widely abused as a narcotic. "Sleep apnea, you stop breathing. Coupled with a medication that suppresses your respiratory abilities, you end up with an accidental death," said a spokesman from the coroner's office. Pimp C and partner Bun B of UGK have been nominated for a Grammy this year for their chart-topping two CD-album Underground Kingz.