Cough Syrup OD Killed Rapper

Pimp C overdose was coupled with sleep disorder
By Peter Fearon,  Newser Staff
Posted Feb 5, 2008 6:32 AM CST
Band mate Bun B arrives for the funeral of rapper Pimp C, Thursday, Dec. 13, 2007 in Port Arthur, Texas. Officials said the rapper, whose real name was Chad Butler, apparently died in bed and there were...   (Associated Press)
camera-icon View 2 more images

(Newser) – Texas rapper Pimp C, found dead in a Los Angeles hotel room in December, died from an overdose of prescription cough syrup coupled with a sleep disorder that interrupts breathing, the LA coroner ruled yesterday. The 33-year-old Grammy nominee's death has been ruled an accident, reports the Houston Chronicle. Pimp C, whose real name was Chad Butler, died while he was in town for a concert.

Authorities say cough syrup containing codeine is widely abused as a narcotic.  "Sleep apnea, you stop breathing. Coupled with a medication that suppresses your respiratory abilities, you end up with an accidental death," said a spokesman from the coroner's office.  Pimp C and partner Bun B of UGK have been nominated for a Grammy this year for their chart-topping two CD-album Underground Kingz.