In San Fran, Streets Littered With ... Poisoned Meatballs?
Police think culprit may be targeting dogs, cats
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Feb 24, 2014 1:28 PM CST
Stock image   (Shutterstock)

(Newser) – Walking your dog in San Francisco? Don't let it eat any meatballs you may find on the street. Police in the city say they have found dozens of meatballs suspected to be poisonous in a Twin Peaks neighborhood where a similar incident happened last year. An officer says she found 34 meatballs hidden in carports, behind stairwells, along curbs, and in bushes on Saturday. She says a resident handed her another ball of raw meat she took from her dog.

Last July, a 7-year-old dachshund named Oskar died after eating a meatball laced with strychnine. Another dog was sickened. Police never found the suspect. The San Francisco Chronicle reports that police will test the newly-discovered meatballs to determine if they are poisonous. Animal Care and Control officers are asking for the public's help in finding the person who hid them.

Copyright 2016 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. AP contributed to this report.

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
In San Fran, Streets Littered With ... Poisoned Meatballs? is...
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Showing 3 of 23 comments
Feb 25, 2014 4:50 PM CST
not to worry it is just paula deen again! she is baccccccccccccccccccccccck!
Feb 24, 2014 9:50 PM CST
Yeah we got some sickos here in the Bay Area. Years ago we had some white supremacist a**hole who hated cats & was putting out poisoned meat to kill the ones that wandered into his yard. His wife used to two-time him during the day bringing guys over to bang while he was at work. It was hilarious. Blond haired blue eyed Aryan dude who eventually moved out of the neighborhood once some minorities moved in lol last I heard he moved to Utah good riddance lol
Feb 24, 2014 7:13 PM CST
Nothing would stop some toddler from gobbling one up.