Hollywood Is Blowing It With Women
Both as filmmakers and audiences: Maureen Dowd
By Matt Cantor, Newser User
Posted Mar 5, 2014 12:47 PM CST
Cate Blanchett poses in the press room with the award for best actress in a leading role for "Blue Jasmine" during the Oscars Sunday, March 2, 2014, in Los Angeles.   (Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)

(Newser) – Cate Blanchett got it right at the Oscars. Hollywood is still treating women-centered films as "niche experiences"—and the industry is similarly marginalizing the women who work in it, writes Maureen Dowd in the New York Times. According to a San Diego State University study last year, women made up just "6% of directors, 10% of writers, 15% of executive producers, 17% of editors and 3% of cinematographers," Dowd notes. "Hollywood is disintegrating faster than it is transitioning to modernity."

Kathryn Bigelow's Oscar win doesn't seem to have changed much, and "every time that a female-driven film like Bridesmaids makes boatloads of money at the box office, it is considered a fluke, a one-off," says the professor behind the study, even though 52% of moviegoers are women. Meryl Streep put it simply: "Don't they want to make money?" she asked of Hollywood execs. Those women who do work in the industry, meanwhile, make a "paltry" amount, said Amy Pascal, co-chair of Sony Entertainment. But this year's box office did show a "gigantic change": "Between Gravity, Hunger Games, Frozen, The Heat, and others, that’s $4 billion. You can’t have a year like last year and not see something different," Pascal tells Dowd. Click for her full column.

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Hollywood Is Blowing It With Women is...
5%
10%
2%
54%
2%
28%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 105 comments
Professor59
Mar 6, 2014 11:02 PM CST
Sorry, all I read was "women" and "blowing" and I lost focus. What's going on?
rohit57
Mar 6, 2014 10:55 AM CST
The percentage of women among movie directors is higher in Iran than it is in the US. But this is good news for Iran as much as bad news for the US. http://www.imafilm.com/iranianwomenfilmmakers/
Even-Steven
Mar 6, 2014 10:20 AM CST
Meryl Streep put it simply: "Don't they want to make money?" she asked of Hollywood execs. Umm yes? Problem is, the majority of those cinematic pearls are complete flops at the box office and the execs lose a shit ton of money of the majority of them. 4 blockbusters staring women does not make "chick flicks" a gold mine all of a sudden. BTW, those four blockbusters happen to NOT be chick flicks. 52% of those movie goers are just like the other 48%, they want to be entertained. You can only run sex in the city so many times.