Sex is an intimate act between two people ... except for when government is also involved. Some of the strangest laws of the land relating to the horizontal tango:
- In New Hampshire, it's illegal to cheat on your spouse—adultery being defined there, since the early 1800s, as "intercourse from which spurious issue [a child born out of wedlock] may arise." But lawmakers last month voted to scrap the law, which could vanish from the books Jan. 1.
- In Utah, it can be illegal to act too "sexy." A law aimed at curbing solicitation was broadened in 2011, so “lewd acts” that simply imply you want to trade sex for money, like exposing or touching yourself, are banned. Three escort services tried to fight it, but it was upheld in September.
- In Hawaii, it just recently became illegal for police officers to have sex with prostitutes.
- In Florida, it's illegal for unmarried couples to live together in sin. Adultery is also illegal there, and one woman actually got her husband arrested for cheating in 2006. But lawmakers moved to get rid of the laws earlier this year.
- Another state where adultery is illegal: New York, where a woman was arrested in 2010 after having sex on a picnic table in a park. The arresting officer happened to know she was married, so she ended up getting charged with adultery in addition to public lewdness.
- In Nebraska, you can't get married if you have gonorrhea, according to this handy roundup of state-by-state sex laws.
- Gawker reports there are four states (Louisiana, North Carolina, Oklahoma, and Kansas) that have banned sodomy "in some way"—but technically allow necrophilia (sex with corpses).
- Ladies, if you lose a game of pool in Anniston, Alabama, you may not legally settle your tab with sex, Marie Claire reports.
Click for even more weird sex laws
, including a ban on sex with rodeo clowns (but only if horses are present).