Dan Marino: I Was Confused, Didn't Mean to Sue NFL
Upon further review, Hall of Famer backs out of concussions lawsuit
By Newser Editors, Newser Staff
Posted Jun 3, 2014 7:53 AM CDT
Updated Jun 3, 2014 7:17 PM CDT
Dan Marino throws an autographed football from the mound after throwing out the ceremonial first pitch before a spring training game between the Pirates and Yankees in Tampa, Fla., March 21, 2014.   (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

(Newser) – The growing ranks of NFL veterans taking the league to court over concussions included a Hall of Fame quarterback, but only briefly. Dan Marino has withdrawn his name from a new lawsuit, reports the Sun-Sentinel. In a statement, the ex-Dolphins star blames it on legal confusion. "Within the last year, I authorized a claim to be filed on my behalf just in case I needed future medical coverage to protect me and my family,” he says. "In so doing I did not realize I would be automatically listed as a plaintiff in a lawsuit against the NFL. I have made the decision it is not necessary for me to be part of any claims."

The Miami Herald notes that Marino had taken a lot of criticism on social media after first being listed as part of the suit, mainly because he got fired from CBS Sports—a broadcast partner of the NFL— just three months ago. Joining the lawsuit also might have jeopardized any hopes he has of joining the Dolphins' front office. Marino had no significant history of concussions, but former teammate Keith Sims, who is suing the league, says he probably suffered some. "It wasn’t diagnosed back then—you’d get some smelling salts and go back in the game," he told the Palm Beach Post before the QB announced he was pulling out. "We all were affected." Marino also recently made headlines by visiting former rival QB Jim Kelly, reports the Buffalo News, who is battling cancer. (Click for another lawsuit against the NFL, this one alleging the league fed players illegal painkillers.)

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Dan Marino Sues NFL Over Concussions is...
13%
4%
5%
16%
3%
57%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 29 comments
JERZJOE
Jun 8, 2014 9:34 AM CDT
so am I so confused about Dan Marino!! bout him being a pro hall of famer!! without getting a SB RING!! now ELI will be a shoe in when it's his turn!! period!! there ya go!!
sandrae
Jun 8, 2014 12:44 AM CDT
It's probably a bit of most of the comments here, but Marino is very popular, and he could probably draw more players to build up to a class action. He would be tarnished by the NFL (and CBS) forever. Too risky. He should try politics; he knows when to make decisions even though unpopular.
BCS
Jun 4, 2014 12:36 PM CDT
If anyone out there has several million dollars for me and my family. I'm more than willing to get my bell rung here and there. No news headlines about construction workers, and contractors have knees and hips replaced, getting early back surgery, or dealing with COPD. No news about heavy machine operators and all the concussions they get. Just poor little NFL players who own mansions, sports cars, and yachts from the money they gladly volunteered to make. If the nfl wanted me, I'd play for half the league minium.