An imaginative but poorly executed prison-smuggling scheme and a wedding that came up way short on goodwill make the list:
- Drone With Drugs, Phones Crashes Outside Prison: Old school for prison smugglers is to chuck a football stuffed with drugs and contraband over the wall. New school? Drones, of course. But as this case from South Carolina illustrates, it helps to get high enough to make it over the razor fence.
- 300 Guests Brawl in Giant Wedding Fight: You may now slug the bride, or members of her family: A huge fight erupted at a New Jersey wedding, with 300 guests involved in the tussle as police from several communities converged to get things under control. After all that, though, only two arrests were made.
- Guy on Lawnmower Charged With DUI: Concerned citizens in Garden City, Colo., called the cops after spotting a guy motoring the wrong way down a busy street at night on his riding mower. Turns out, the driver has DUIs acquired in the usual fashion—and now he faces charges for driving a lawnmower under the influence, too.
- One Cop Wrote 80% of Seattle's Pot Tickets: It's not so much a crazy crime story as a crazy crime stat. A Seattle cop has been reassigned after an internal review discovered he had written 66 out of 83 of the city's toking-in-public tickets in the first half of 2014. Based on notes he wrote, he felt that legalization was "silly."
- 'Spider-Man' Charged With Hitting NYC Cop: A guy dressed in a Spider-Man suit didn't exactly live up to the term "hero," say the cops who busted him after he allegedly decked one of New York's finest. It seems that Junior Bishop, 25, was dressed as the superhero and posing with tourists, and he didn't take kindly to police telling him to ease up on his panhandling.
Click to read about more crazy crimes