Israel Accepts Egyptian Ceasefire Proposal
Palestine had already accepted the plan
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Aug 4, 2014 4:30 PM CDT
A Palestinian woman passes by rescuers inspecting the rubble of destroyed houses following Israeli strikes in Rafah refugee camp, southern Gaza Strip, Monday, Aug. 4, 2014.    (Khalil Hamra)
camera-icon View 3 more images

(Newser) – A senior Israeli official says the Israeli government has accepted an Egyptian ceasefire proposal to end a month-long war against Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip. The official says a preliminary 72-hour truce will begin in the morning. An Israeli delegation will head to Egypt for talks meant to work out a long-term truce in the next three days. The official said Israel will be watching "with a certain amount of skepticism," since previous ceasefire plans have quickly collapsed. He spoke on condition of anonymity pending a formal announcement by the Israeli government. Palestinian officials have already said they accepted the Egyptian proposal.

 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
3%
13%
10%
59%
0%
15%