Man Killed After E-Cig Charging Snafu
It caught fire, ignited his oxygen equipment, say UK authorities
By John Johnson, Newser Staff | Suggested by HieronymusEponymous
Posted Aug 9, 2014 5:20 AM CDT
File photo of an e-cig smoker.   (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)

(Newser) – The debate on whether e-cigarettes are a healthier alternative to regular smokes continues, but the "e" part clearly poses unique risks: A UK man was killed after his device misfired and ignited his oxygen equipment, reports the BBC. Fire officials say David Thomson, 62, was charging his e-cig in his bedroom when it "exploded, caught fire, and ignited the oxygen tube of an oxygen concentrator, which may have been in use by the occupier."

The best guess is that Thomson was using a charger not supplied by the manufacturer, and the Evening Standard notes that this is the ninth fire related to e-cigs in Thomson's community of Merseyside this year alone. As such, fire officials issued a warning afterward telling people not to mix and match equipment and not to leave the devices charging overnight. (In the US, critics are upset that flavors that would appeal to kids are turning up.)

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
UK Man Killed After E-Cig Explodes is...
26%
4%
10%
2%
17%
41%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 42 comments
dalexander123
Aug 13, 2014 3:58 PM CDT
I smoked cigarettes for 50 years and didn't think I would ever quit even though I knew they were killing me. After 4 stents in May, I bought an e-cigarette and, after two weeks, I was able to quit smoking. The benefits have been huge, and I now think I have a shot at living quite a few more years. If you think smoking is easy to quit, you're out of your mind. It's an extremely tough addiction to quit. I admire anyone who can quit cold turkey, but most of us can't. Now, the smoking Nazis are trying to forbid the use of e-cigarettes wherever smoking is forbidden.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Aug 13, 2014 12:10 PM CDT
Statistically you're hundreds of times more likely to be injured in your shower than by your e-cig exploding. It's time to outlaw showers, nothing but sponge baths from now on.
Ezekiel 25:17
Aug 12, 2014 9:12 AM CDT
Killed another occupy member. Oh well.