Boy's DQ Milkshake Mixed With Chemical Cleaner
Employee mistakenly filled tainted bottle with syrup used in 7-year-old's shake
By Jenn Gidman, Newser Staff
Posted Aug 27, 2014 2:17 PM CDT
A Dairy Queen is shown on Saturday, Sept. 8, 2012, in Nelsonville, Ohio.   (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

(Newser) – In the second such incident at a food establishment this month, a 7-year-old boy had to go to the hospital after drinking a vanilla milkshake with an unexpected ingredient: chemical cleaner. "It tasted gross," Riley Chase tells ABC News of the not-so-sweet treat he sampled last week at a Colorado Dairy Queen. "Something was bubbling on my tongue." When he handed the shake to his mom, Lisa, to try, she said she could taste a "very strong cleanser" that burned "all the way into your stomach."

When Chase went back into the restaurant to see what was up, she said employees showed "no concern," reports 9 News. When she got home, she called a manager and found out that an employee had accidentally poured vanilla syrup for the shakes into a bottle that had been soaking in a sink filled with floor cleaner and degreaser, reports WGHP. Although Dairy Queen says in a statement to ABC News that this was an "isolated" occurrence and that employees were getting retrained and "reprimanded," Chase isn't so forgiving. "They could've cost people their lives," she says. At least two other customers received similarly toxic concoctions—all three went to a local hospital to be safe. (Click for more on a woman who accidentally drank iced tea laced with lye.)

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Boy's DQ Milkshake Mixed With Chemical Cleaner is...
6%
1%
5%
1%
78%
9%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 46 comments
$115803099
Aug 28, 2014 12:00 PM CDT
It's time to sue DQ and put them out of business. Anyone who eats shit from here deserve to get sick.
Haveasay
Aug 28, 2014 8:16 AM CDT
It wasn't mixed with chemical cleaner. It was mixed with a dirty bottle. There is a big difference. And let's face it, these are teenagers. For the most part, they don't know what they are doing or the impact it may have. Stop trying to make this into more than it was. Bad, yes. Life altering, no. Are you trying to tell me you have never made a mistake? Last time I checked, only God was perfect.
TellMyMom2StopTripin .
Aug 27, 2014 7:17 PM CDT
Now if his milkshake was mixed with My Chemical Romance it'd f*cking ROCK!