US /
Museum's 'Smoke Tornado' Goes Horribly Wrong
13 injured at Nevada Discovery Museum
By Rob Quinn, Newser Staff
Posted Sep 3, 2014 11:39 PM CDT
Updated Sep 4, 2014 12:06 AM CDT
Firefighters confer outside the Nevada Discovery Museum in Reno yesterday.   (AP Photo/Scott Sonner)

(Newser) – Eight children were among 13 people hurt when an attempt to create a whirling "smoke tornado" went badly wrong at the Terry Lee Wells Nevada Discovery Museum in Reno, Nev., yesterday. Initial reports said there had been an explosion, but a police spokesman tells the Reno Gazette-Journal that the accident created a chemical flash "similar to if someone threw gasoline on a fire." A city spokesman says there was a problem with the mixture of methyl alcohol and boric acid routinely used for the demonstration, reports Reuters. Nine of the injured were treated for acid burns and one child has been kept in the hospital for observation overnight.

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Museum's 'Smoke Tornado' Goes Horribly Wrong is...
18%
5%
13%
2%
57%
5%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 5 comments
People_Suck
Sep 4, 2014 9:55 PM CDT
"Smokenado". Coming to Netflix.
Ezekiel 25:17
Sep 4, 2014 3:17 PM CDT
Way, way better to use Co2 or dry ice and get good results with little to no risk to the participants. You do have to be careful in handling Co2 as it can strangely burn you.
nothere
Sep 4, 2014 7:55 AM CDT
too much part A and not enough part B