It's not unheard of for naughty dogs to gulp down socks—but chowing down on 43 of them is probably the record. A Great Dane in Portland, Ore., brought to an animal hospital with what an X-ray found was "a lot of foreign material in his stomach" had 43 socks pulled out of him over nearly two hours of surgery, along with an extra half of a sock, reports the Oregonian. The owners of the 3-year-old dog had told the hospital he had been retching and had mysteriously lost his appetite.
The dog, who made a full recovery, was brought to the DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital in February, but the sock-gobbling only became public when the hospital submitted the X-ray for an industry award, reports the Los Angeles Times. Despite the amazing number of socks consumed, the dog only came in third in the "They Ate WHAT?" contest at Veterinary Practice News, behind a frog that munched 30 ornamental rocks and a pointer that swallowed a shish kebab skewer.