Despite several assassination attempts against Fidel Castro, the Cuban president stepped down Tuesday on his own terms. The CIA came up with at least eight sometimes-kooky ways to oust the leader, CNN reports, most of which were not carried out:
- Chemical attack on the air of his radio station.
- Cigars treated to cause disorientation or his beard to fall out.
- Thallium salt, used as a depilatory, placed in his shoes so he'd lose his beard.
- Poison pills to be delivered to a Havana restaurant Castro frequented.
- Poison pills, again, delivered through the Cuban mafia post-Bay of Pigs.
- A fungus-infested skin-diving suit to produce tuberculosis and skin disease.
- Booby-trapped mollusks at his favorite beach.
- Assassination by a disenchanted member of Castro's inner circle.