A good hotel provides comfort; a great hotel ... inspiration? Artists touched up the staid look of these hotels, selected by Budget Travel for their fake-fur tapestry, psychedelic mazes, and speckled French graffiti:
- The Winston, Amsterdam: This avant-garde hotel once displayed dead leaves; check out the Playnation room's trippy ceiling mural and 3-D robot.
- The New Majestic, Singapore: This mural-packed pied-a-terre surrounds guests with giant turtles and Mickey Mouse ears.
- Arte Luise Kunsthotel, Berlin: The Dieter Mammel-designed room features an oversize oak bed intended to invoke a child's perspective.
- Daddy Long Legs, Cape Town: Interactive rooms let guests underline favorite passages from piles of South African lit and sing into mics in the shower.
- Hotel Fox, Copenhagen: Artists sponsored by Volkswagen made over this place in 2005; the Sleep Seasons room places its mattress in a tent.