'Boy Who Came Back From Heaven' Made It All Up
Alex Malarkey: 'I did not die. I did not go to Heaven'
By Arden Dier,  Newser Staff
Suggested by Rimbaud
Posted Jan 16, 2015 7:53 AM CST
Beth and Kevin Malarkey, left to right, talk with their son Alex after surgery at University Hospital's Case Western Reserve Medical Center Friday, Jan. 9, 2009, in Cleveland.   (AP Photo/Tony Dejak)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – The account of a 6-year-old boy's trip to heaven while in a coma for two months is to be taken out of print following his admission that it was all a lie. Alex Malarkey co-authored The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven along with dad Kevin Malarkey after the car crash that left him paralyzed. But "I did not die. I did not go to Heaven," Alex now writes in an open letter to Christian retailers. Published on Pulpit and Pen, the letter continues, "I said I went to heaven because I thought it would get me attention." The now-teen writes "people have profited from lies" contained in the best-selling 2010 memoir "and continue to ... Those who market these materials must be called to repent and hold the Bible as enough."

The Washington Post reports publisher Tyndale House will stop selling the book, which Alex's mother slammed just last year, as well as any related products. "It is both puzzling and painful to watch the book The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven not only continue to sell, but to continue, for the most part, to not be questioned," Beth Malarkey wrote in a blog post in April. She continued, "Alex did not write the book" and "has not received monies from the book nor have a majority of his needs been funded by it." Pulpit and Pen claims retailer LifeWay Christian Resources, which sold and promoted the book, knew of Beth's concerns but ignored them. LifeWay now says it will remove the book from its shelves. NPR reports Alex's parents are now divorced and he and his siblings live with their mother. (A neurosurgeon claims he visited heaven.)