Locked-Out Teen Gets Stuck in Chimney
Tucson boy had bad idea after forgetting his keys
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Feb 11, 2015 11:13 PM CST
Updated Feb 12, 2015 12:30 AM CST
A neighbor called 911 after hearing a cry for help from inside this chimney.   (Tucson Fire Department)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – If your name isn't Santa Claus, you shouldn't even think about trying to enter a house through a chimney, the fire department in Tucson, Ariz., said after rescuing a teenager yesterday. The 16-year-old had forgotten his keys and, locked out of the house with his younger brother, became stuck after trying to get in through the chimney, the Arizona Republic reports. After a neighbor heard his cries for help, firefighters lowered a rope and hoisted the sooty but unharmed boy out of the chimney.

A fire department spokesman tells NBC that it was an "innocent act that thankfully turned out OK," but one that they hope nobody repeats. "Trying to gain entry to a house by sliding down the chimney is extremely dangerous. The chances of making it down safely are slim to none, and getting stuck can lead to serious injury or even death," he says. Last month, a California woman needed to be rescued after trying to get into her ex's house via the chimney, just a few months after another California woman was arrested for doing the same thing.