Tsarnaev Jurors Must Steer Clear of Boston Marathon
And all memorial events related to 2013 attack, judge says
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Apr 14, 2015 11:07 AM CDT
In this courtroom sketch, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, second from left, is depicted standing with his defense attorneys as the jury presents its verdict on April 8, 2015, in Boston.   (Jane Flavell Collins)

(Newser) – Jurors in the federal death penalty trial of Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev must stay away from this year's marathon and any events related to the anniversary of the 2013 attack, a judge warned today. Judge George O'Toole Jr. called jurors in to court to give them the warning as they wait for the penalty phase of the trial to begin April 21. The second anniversary of the bombings is tomorrow; this year's marathon is scheduled for Monday. O'Toole said he gave jurors the warning in court—despite the fact that most of them live outside Boston—to stress the importance of avoiding any events related to the marathon and media coverage of the events.

"I trust that you have been doing this all along," O'Toole said. Last week, Tsarnaev was convicted of all 30 charges against him. O'Toole told the jury that the next phase of the trial—the penalty phase—is expected to last about four weeks. The same jury will be asked to decide if Tsarnaev should be sentenced to death or spend the rest of his life in prison.
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
0%
4%
0%
60%
4%
32%