Americans need a vacation—badly—with fewer than two-thirds of workers using their allotted time last year, reports Forbes. But not everyone's idea of fun is vegging out . Here are top-notch US getaways for those who like active travel:
- Kapalua Resort, Maui, Hawaii: Golf, bird-watching and a marine-life preserves.
- Golden Door Resort, Escondido, California: Feel revived at the nation's top stand-alone spa.
- Walden Country Inn and Stables, Aurora, Ohio: Ride horseback on 32 acres of trails.
- CordeValle, San Martin, California: Sample from the on-site winery and enjoy a Swedish massage.
- White Barn Inn, Kennebunkport, Maine: Light a cozy fire and savor the Atlantic views.
- Canoe Bay, Chetek, Wisconsin: Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired resort offers canoeing, kayaking, hiking and award-winning wines.