Despite rigorous testing, some drugs have side effects that only rear their ugly heads when introduced to the general population. Forbes catalogs some of the weirdest:
- Anti-smoking drug Chantix can cause insomnia and nightmares.
- Diet drug Alli can have unforeseen gastrointestinal side-effects; these can be counteracted by eating a low-fat diet, of all things.
- Mirapex, prescribed for Parkinson's and restless-leg-syndrome patients, can lead to compulsive-eating and gambling urges.
- Who can forget Ambien, the sleeping aid shown to cause sleep-walking and -driving?
- Cholesterol drug Zolcor can pose serious health risks if combined with ... grapefruit?
- Vasotec, used to combat high blood pressure, can also stunt your sense of taste.
- Antihistamine Allegra may clear up your nose, but it can also give you a backache, and a headache and a cold.
- Anti-malaria drug Lariam can cause nightmares, hallucinations, and paranoia.