This Man Now Charged With Trying to Kill Zimmerman
It was attempted murder, prosecutor says
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Jun 19, 2015 12:27 AM CDT
In this Jan. 10, 2015, photo, George Zimmerman walks in handcuffs during a first appearance at the Seminole County Courthouse in Sanford, Fla., on an assault charge.   (AP Photo/Orlando Sentinel, Stephen M. Dowell, Pool)
camera-icon View 2 more images

(Newser) – A prosecutor has upgraded to attempted murder the most serious charge against a man accused of shooting into George Zimmerman's vehicle while they were driving down a busy road last month. State Attorney Phil Archer charged 36-year-old Matthew Apperson with attempted second-degree murder. Apperson had been charged earlier with aggravated assault and battery for firing a gun into Zimmerman's car during a traffic run-in last month on a busy road in an Orlando suburb. Zimmerman had minor injuries. Apperson also faces an aggravated assault charge and a charge of shooting into an occupied vehicle.

Apperson's attorney, Michael LaFay, says the attempted murder charge doesn't change any facts of the case. Apperson, who's out on a $35,000 bond, plans to enter a plea of not guilty during an arraignment hearing set for next week. "Am I surprised when prosecutors overreach with the heaviest charge they can possibly level? It's like a normal day at the office," LaFay says. Zimmerman's attorney, Don West, says Zimmerman is pleased with the charge. Apperson told police officers that Zimmerman had threatened him with a gun during the encounter last month, so he fired at Zimmerman's vehicle. He is expected to use the "stand your ground" legal defense that Zimmerman knows well.
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
13%
10%
8%
38%
3%
29%