An Unbearable Breakup: 5 Craziest Crimes of the Week

Including stuffed-animal arson and a famous director's missing head
By Jenn Gidman,  Newser Staff
Posted Jul 17, 2015 5:22 AM CDT
Updated Jul 17, 2015 8:34 AM CDT
They say scream into a pillow when you're mad, not abuse a teddy bear.   (Shutterstock)

(Newser) – A super-strict cybercrime punishment and a surprise ending for a stolen SUV are among the weirdest crime stories of the week:

  • Abu Dhabi Jails Woman for Facebook Picture of Car: File this under "why you should be stoked you live in the US." Abu Dhabi officials threw Australian Jodi Magi in jail for posting a picture of a parked car on Facebook. It started in February, when Magi became annoyed at a driver who took up two handicap-parking spaces in her apartment's lot.
  • Man Takes Out Feelings About Breakup on Teddy Bears: Marshay Frenard of Memphis was apparently not happy about being dumped. Police allege the 25-year-old sliced open with a knife a teddy bear that belonged to his ex's child. What he did with the second bear led to charges.

  • Couple's Stolen SUV Returned—With Upgrades: A Texas couple were bummed when their 2004 Dodge Durango disappeared from the side of a Cleveland highway. It had hit a deer, had a missing window, and only started with help from tools rather than keys, but Shane Peters planned to go fetch it when he saved up cash for a tow. The SUV was then stolen, but it was spotted a month later—in a much different condition.
  • Someone Took Nosferatu Director's Head Out of His Grave: FW Murnau was one of the first—and best—horror movie directors, and he is still at the center of creepy goings-on more than 80 years after his death. Police in Germany say the Nosferatu director's grave, located in a family plot near Berlin, was raided by people who opened his metal coffin and made off with his head. A clue found at the scene points to a creepy motive.
  • Woman's Plan to Have Jesus Pay the Bill Ends Poorly: Staff at a Myrtle Beach, SC, restaurant said that April Lee Yates had been hanging out at their eatery for almost four hours last weekend when she began to be disruptive. They asked her to settle her $26 tab and leave, but she refused. When police arrived, the 51-year-old told them she couldn't pay for her meal but that she did have a plan.
Click to read about more crazy crimes.

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |