Dad Who Was Attacked: My Kids Had 'One Bad Moment' Zachery, Yvonne Ervin speak out By Evann Gastaldo, Newser Staff Posted Sep 28, 2015 2:42 PM CDT 18 comments Comments (YouTube) (Newser) – In what just might be the understatement of the year, the Georgia father whose sons allegedly tried to kill him (and their mother) says his kids "had one bad moment." Zachery Ervin made the statement during an interview he and wife Yvonne did with ABC News Monday. He said they don't know what happened or why, and Yvonne said there were no signs of what was coming and that the attack was "totally out of character." "God will reveal [the answers], in time, to us and to the world," Zachery said. The parents have previously stressed that they forgive their sons, who allegedly drugged and attacked them and then tried to burn their house down in an attack that may have been planned for years. Christopher, 22, and Cameron, 17, face charges of felony aggravated assault and arson; both are being tried as adults and could go to prison for as many as 60 years if convicted. "People don’t know our sons, so it may be easy to say, ‘I can’t forgive,’ but I ask people to take it personally. What if it was your son?" Yvonne Ervin says. Adds Zachery, "We communicated to our sons that we love them unconditionally, we told them we forgive them. We told them, as always, whenever there’s an issue, there’s going to be consequences, whether you do good or bad." Watch the interview here.