Norway Mass Killer Says He'll Starve Himself to Death
Victim suggests he shut up and take his punishment
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Oct 1, 2015 3:03 AM CDT
In this Aug. 24, 2012, photo, Anders Breivik listens to the judge in the courtroom in Oslo, Norway.   (AP Photo/Frank Augstein, File)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – Anders Breivik, the Norwegian extremist serving a 21-year sentence for massacring 77 people, is complaining once again about getting a raw deal. He says he'll continue a hunger strike "until death" to protest a "drastic deterioration of prison conditions" since early September, the Local reports. The 36-year-old says he is being kept in isolation in a cell that he's allowed to leave for only an hour a day, and that he's been given less time with prison staff. He complains that he has had to drop out of his University of Oslo political science course because "studying and corresponding is not humanly possible under such circumstances." The prison director tells the BBC that he won't comment on individual prisoners but that nobody at the institution is currently on a hunger strike.

Breivik has had plenty of complaints about prison in the past, including about the cold coffee and "sadistic" limitations on what kind of pen he can use. Last year he threatened a hunger strike unless his PS2 was upgraded to a PS3. Emma Martinovic, who saw her friends killed and swam for her life as Breivik slaughtered dozens of people at a youth summer camp, isn't overflowing with sympathy for him. She was shot in the arm and tells that Breivik laughed and taunted her from the shore. She says she has a message for him: "You don't know what it means to have a hard time. Shut the f--- up and take your punishment."