County prosecutors are expected to charge a white Chicago police officer with murder in the fatal shooting of a black teenager, an official close to the investigation says. The official, speaking under the condition of anonymity, says Officer Jason Van Dyke is expected to be charged Tuesday. The charge would come as the city prepares to release squad-car video of Van Dyke shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times on Oct. 20, 2014. Several people who have seen the video say it shows McDonald armed with a small knife and walking away from several officers. They say Van Dyke opened fire from about 15 feet and kept shooting after the teen fell to the ground. An autopsy report says he was shot at least twice in the back.
Ministers, community leaders, and others worry the images could lead to the kind of unrest seen in Baltimore and Ferguson, Mo., after police-involved deaths. Mayor Rahm Emanuel called together a number of community leaders Monday to appeal for help in keeping the city calm. But some said after the meeting that city officials waited too long to get them involved—more than a year after McDonald was shot. "You had this tape for a year and you are only talking to us now because you need our help keeping things calm," one of the ministers said. A judge last week ordered police to release the squad car dashcam footage by Wednesday after the city refused to do so for several months, saying the investigations into the shooting weren't complete.