Cop Seen Checking Burger King's Laquan Footage
Source says FBI found no evidence the video was tampered with
By Arden Dier,  Newser Staff
Posted Dec 1, 2015 6:51 AM CST
This undated photo provided by his family shows Laquan McDonald.   (Courtesy of the Family via AP)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – Photos may back up a Burger King manager's story that Chicago police officers deleted 86 minutes of surveillance video from the night Laquan McDonald was shot 16 times. Screen grabs from a camera inside an office at the eatery show at least one officer at a computer terminal on Oct. 20, 2014. District manager Jay Darshane told NBC Chicago back in May that four to five officers spent hours in the Burger King after Laquan's shooting 50 yards away. After they left, there was a gap in footage from 9:13pm to 10:39pm, Darshane said; McDonald was first shot at 9:57pm. "We had no idea they were going to sit there and delete files. I mean, we were just trying to help the police officers," said Darshane. He added the restaurant's cameras and video recorder were on and working normally.

However, a source close to the investigation tells the Chicago Sun-Times that Burger King's system "would break down in the weeks and months before this incident. There were major gaps everywhere." The source adds the FBI had the video "forensically analyzed" and found "absolutely no evidence of any tampering or any removal of any portion of the tape." State's Attorney Anita Alvarez said last week that forensic testing showed no one tampered with the video. Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is expected to announce the forming of a task force on Tuesday that "will review the system of accountability, oversight, and training that is currently in place for Chicago's police officers," according to a release. The panel will have four months to recommend changes to the police department, per the Chicago Tribune.