We're Getting a New Terror Alert System
It's the 3rd so far
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Dec 7, 2015 12:00 PM CST
Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson speaks at a Defense One "leadership briefing" in Washington, Monday, Dec. 7, 2015, on the agency's efforts to tackle growing terrorism threats in the U.S. and...   (Andrew Harnik)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – The Obama administration will announce a new terror alert system "in the coming days," Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said Monday. Johnson said the new alert system will better inform the public about threats to the United States, but he did not provide specific details. This will be the third terror alert system put in place by the Homeland Security Department since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. The much maligned color-coded system was replaced in 2011 by the National Threat Advisory System, which has never been used because it requires a "specific, credible threat" to the US in order to be activated. The plan to change the alert system was announced in the wake of the mass shooting in San Bernardino, California, which the FBI has declared a terrorism investigation.

The new effort will include an "intermediate" step, Johnson said in announcing the new alert system during a forum with Defense One magazine. Johnson said while a specific motive has not been determined in the California shooting, the threat from home-grown radicals or those inspired by foreign groups is a growing concern in part because such attacks may not be discovered in advance. The new terror alert system, he said, better "reflects the current environment and current realities. We need a system that adequately informs the public at large ... about what we are seeing, what we are doing and what we are asking the public to do about it," Johnson said.