Two teenagers accused of taking part in a gang rape that shocked New York City were turned in by their own mothers, police say. Two other suspects were apprehended and another is still at large, according to police, who say that two of the teens in custody are 15 years old, one is 17, and one is 14, reports the New York Daily News. In a statement Sunday, Mayor Bill de Blasio said he was "disgusted and deeply saddened" by the horrific Thursday night attack on an 18-year-old girl who had been in a Brooklyn playground with her father, the AP reports. "Every New Yorker in every neighborhood deserves to feel safe and protected, and we will not stop until the perpetrators of this disturbing attack are held accountable for their actions," the mayor said.
Police have denied that there was any delay in responding to the attack, saying that there was no 911 call after the attack and they "immediately responded and located the victim" after being alerted by the father, who flagged down a police car after being ordered to leave by a teen with a gun, the New York Times reports. A bodega owner near the scene of the attack in Brownsville tells the Daily News that the father came into his store first, asking to use the phone to call 911, but he refused because he didn't believe the father's story. The victim, who was treated at Kings County Hospital after the attack, is "OK," her mother told the Daily News on Sunday. “I want them to get caught and go to jail for a long time," she added. "I feel bad, horrible."