A GPS unit and satellite phone may be handy if you're lost in the wild, but Wired offers a simpler list of cheap essentials for any survival kit:
- Knife, vital for shelter, food prep, campfires, and countless other tasks.
- Lighter and tinder, like waxed cotton, to start fires in wet weather.
- Metal container, to boil water to kill bacteria.
- First-aid kit, packed for serious injuries.
- Trash bags, to catch rain, make a poncho, or windproof your shelter.
- Water purification supplies, to sanitize brackish water.
- Backpacker hammock, for shelter in extreme climates.
- Whistle, louder than yelling for help.
- Flashlight, to flag down rescuers.
- High-calorie protein bars, easier than hunting.