Rubio: I Won't Be Trump's VP
But he says he's not proud of attacks on front-runner
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Mar 10, 2016 3:29 AM CST
Most polls say otherwise.   (Bob Self/The Florida Times-Union via AP)
camera-icon View 2 more images

(Newser) – Marco Rubio's presidential campaign is widely seen to be in its dying days—but the Florida senator says he's not interested in signing up with any others. During an MSNBC town hall on Wednesday, Rubio said he's "not looking to be anyone's vice president" and that he would "absolutely" say no to Donald Trump, who had said earlier in the day that he would definitely consider Rubio, if he dropped out this week. Rubio also shot down the idea of teaming up with Ted Cruz to defeat Trump, describing it as "House of Cards stuff." "Those kinds of things rarely work," he told the town hall. "I can just tell you I'm a candidate for president."

During the town hall, Rubio admitted that he was ashamed of how his attacks on Trump had descended into playground taunts about tiny hands, the New York Times reports. "My kids were embarrassed by it and I, you know, if I had to do it again I wouldn't," he said. Rubio—who failed to pick up a single delegate in Tuesday's GOP votes—said he felt "very positive" about winning Florida on March 15, though polls show him well behind Trump in the winner-take-all state. Politico reports that at a Wednesday evening rally at a football stadium in Hialeah, Fla., the crowd only stretched as far as the 20-yard line. (See plenty of photos here.) He stayed after the rally for an interview with Fox's Megyn Kelly, whose first question was: "Are you preparing to drop out?"
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
63%
5%
3%
11%
3%
16%