Two-year-old twins Shaun and Rhys Scott were "full of love, happiness, fun, and cheek," their parents say. The boys died Saturday morning when they fell into a koi fish pond that was on the property where they lived in Dalgety Bay, Fife, in Scotland, the Telegraph reports. Parents Sarah Aitken and Mervyn Scott, "still in shock and devastated," released a statement thanking all the people who tried "to revive our miracle babies," a reference to the twins being conceived using in vitro fertilization. The boys "touched the lives of everyone they met," the parents say. "They have been taken from us far too early and will be forever missed and loved."
The family, according to reports, had recently moved into the rented house in the Scottish coastal town. The previous resident, who ran a koi supply business, installed the pond, according to the Guardian. The details of the tragedy are unclear. Police responded to an emergency call Saturday morning and the boys were later pronounced dead at a hospital. One expert told the Daily Record that about five kids in the UK between two and six drown in homes and ponds each year. A family friend tells the Telegraph that the couple had a difficult time getting pregnant, and they were overjoyed to find out they were having twins. "Why take it away from her?" the friend says. "It’s just so unfair." In their statement, the parents write, "Both boys were long awaited little soldiers." The investigation is ongoing. (Read more Scotland stories.)