Man Pleads Not Guilty to Dismembering Date
There's no evidence, John Charlton's lawyers say
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Apr 28, 2016 12:21 AM CDT
The judge ordered the media not to show Charlton's head.   (Ted S. Warren)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – A man accused of killing and dismembering a woman in her suburban home, then dumping her remains in a Seattle recycling bin pleaded not guilty Wednesday to murder and theft charges. A judge in King County, Wash., also raised bail for John Robert Charlton, 37, from $2 million to $5 million at his arraignment, the AP reports. Charlton was charged in the death of Ingrid Lyne, a 40-year-old mother of three from Renton. He is also suspected of stealing her vehicle. Authorities say Charlton dismembered Lyne in her home before driving her remains to Seattle. Her head, arm with a hand, lower leg, and foot were found in garbage bags by a homeowner, police say. Additional remains were found in a waste container and recycling center.

Lyne was reported missing on April 9. Charlton has told police the two went to a baseball game, then back to Lyne's home, and that he ended up spending the night on a street in Seattle. He said he couldn't recall how he got back to Seattle because he had been too intoxicated to remember. A statement released by Charlton's public defenders said his parents attended the Wednesday arraignment to support him. "What stands out to us is the lack of evidence connecting Mr. Charlton to these acts," the statement says. "We ask that the community not jump to conclusions during this tragedy." The judge ordered media to show Charlton from only the neck down in order to not prejudice a potential jury trial. A GoFundMe campaign set up for Lyne's three daughters has raised more than $250,000.
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
5%
10%
18%
3%
30%
35%