Orlando police said Thursday that someone broke into the Pulse nightclub Wednesday night, hours after law enforcement had turned control of the club back over to its owners, the AP reports. The club had been under police custody as part of the investigation into the June 12 shooting that left 49 victims dead and injured 53. A police report listed no motive or suspects, and ABC News notes that whoever broke in pulled plywood off of an entranceway to gain access. An alarm system complete with interior cameras was not turned on Wednesday night. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement and Orlando police had just ended their control of the property Wednesday, though the investigation into the worst mass shooting in modern US history is continuing.
"Some sick individual did this," said an unidentified man on a 911 call reporting the break-in. Barbara Poma, the owner of the club, shared her own thoughts in a statement. "Since June 12, we have seen the worst and best of human behavior," she says. "We are disappointed that someone felt compelled to violate the privacy of our beloved Pulse Night Club and the sacred place it has now become." Co-owner Rosario Poma, Barbara's husband, tells the Orlando Sentinel that nothing appears to have been damaged or removed from the premises, but that hasn't done much to dampen his own sentiments. "It's pathetic that people would do such things," he says, calling it "unspeakable. They pried the wood off the doors that was screwed to the walls."