Benghazi Parents Sue Clinton
They blame email carelessness for 2012 deaths
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Aug 9, 2016 3:12 AM CDT
Updated Aug 9, 2016 6:42 AM CDT
Hillary Clinton speaks at the 2016 National Association of Black Journalists' and National Association of Hispanic Journalists' Hall of Fame Luncheon last week.   (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)
camera-icon View 2 more images

(Newser) – The parents of two Americans killed in Benghazi are taking Hillary Clinton to court, saying her "extreme carelessness" in handling classified information is to blame for the deaths of their sons. In a wrongful death lawsuit filed in federal court Monday, Patricia Smith, mother of Sean Smith, and Charles Woods, father of Tyrone Woods, argue that Clinton's use of a private email server while working at the State Department contributed to the 2012 deaths, NBC reports. "It is highly probable, given Defendant Clinton’s history of reckless handling of classified information," that she sent information about State Department activities and covert operations in Libya that was compromised as soon as it left her server, the lawsuit states.

The parents, represented by Larry Klayman, founder of the conservative group "Freedom Watch," also accuse Clinton of inflicting emotional distress by blaming the attack on an anti-Muslim video, Mediaite reports. In a speech to the GOP convention last month, Smith said she blamed Clinton personally for her son's death. A Clinton spokesman says: "While no one can imagine the pain of the families of the brave Americans we lost at Benghazi, there have been nine different investigations into this attack and none found any evidence whatsoever of any wrongdoing on the part of Hillary Clinton." (The mother of another American killed in Benghazi has asked the GOP to stop using her son's name.)
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
3%
6%
6%
37%
1%
47%