A Canadian man previously banned from associating with ISIS extremists was killed as Mounties thwarted what they believed was a suicide bomb plot, a senior police official says. The suspect, who died in Strathroy, Ontario, around 140 miles southwest of Toronto, allegedly planned to use a bomb to carry out a suicide bombing in a public area, a senior Canadian police official told the AP late Wednesday. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, identified the suspect as Aaron Driver, a 24-year-old man originally from Winnipeg, Manitoba. Driver had been monitored by police for at least a year, as authorities believed he was a threat because he could help terror groups.
The CBC reports that Mounties have told Driver's family that after he detonated an explosive device, injuring himself and an unidentified person, they had to shoot him before he could detonate a second device. Driver was under a court order from earlier this year to not associate with any terrorist organization, including ISIS. In February, Driver's lawyer and the prosecutor agreed to a peace bond stating there are "reasonable grounds to fear that he may participate, contribute directly or indirectly in the activity of a terrorist group." (Read more Canada stories.)