Don't Expect Ghostbusters Sequel
Report says Sony is looking at a $70M loss
By Linda Hervieux,  Newser Staff
Posted Aug 11, 2016 10:51 AM CDT
From left, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, Kristen Wiig, and Leslie Jones in 'Ghostbusters.'    (Hopper Stone/Columbia Pictures/Sony Pictures via AP)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – It seemed like a sure thing: a reboot of the beloved 1984 classic Ghostbusters with an all-female cast featuring Bridesmaids mega-stars Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy.
But now Sony is steeling for mega losses and a planned sequel seems unlikely, says the Hollywood Reporter. With a global tally of just under $180 million so far, the studio is prepping for a loss upward of $70 million, according to the site. For the record, the studio disputes the figure and says it is "very proud" of the movie.

But THR notes that there is no longer public talk of a sequel, only of animated projects. "It breaks my heart to say this, but Ghostbusters is pretty much a bomb," writes Scott Mendelson at Forbes. He notes that the $116 million domestic earnings makes the movie a "slight disappointment" in North America and that "it was lack of overseas interest that crushed this one." Critics have generally liked the film, though fans have been more harsh.)
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
42%
3%
12%
33%
3%
7%