Donald Trump's campaign chief accuses the New York Times of a hatchet job against him in a Monday story that alleges he received shady payments out of Ukraine, reports Politico. “Once again, the New York Times has chosen to purposefully ignore facts and professional journalism to fit their political agenda, choosing to attack my character and reputation rather than present an honest report,” says Paul Manafort said in a statement. “The suggestion that I accepted cash payments is unfounded, silly and nonsensical.” According to the Times report, handwritten ledgers uncovered in Ukraine suggest that Manafort received $12.7 million in previously undisclosed, illegal payments for his work on behalf of a pro-Russia political party there.
The allegations are dicey ones for Trump, who has previously taken flak for statements supportive of Vladimir Putin. As the LA Times notes, the issue surfaced anew last month when the GOP platform ditched a provision calling for arms for Ukraine to help in its border dispute with Russia. Manafort, however, denies getting the money or of ever working directly for the governments of Ukraine or Russia. “My work in Ukraine ceased following the country’s parliamentary elections in October 2014,” he says. “In addition, as the article points out hesitantly, every government official interviewed states I have done nothing wrong.” (Read more Paul Manafort stories.)