Opening Day is fun for fans around the nation—not just the perennial media darlings in Boston and New York. Time runs down the top story lines that don’t involve the Red Sox, Yankees or Mets:
- Watch Detroit. With new acquisitions Miguel Cabrera, Jacque Jones, and Edgar Renteria, the Tigers should be one of the best offensive teams ever.
- Indicted home-run king Barry Bonds is still circulating his resume—will anyone sign him?
- Colorado returns most of its team, and experts are divided whether or not last year’s 21-for-22 streak was a sign of greatness, or a flash-in-the-pan.
- Can Joe Torre turn around a cantankerous Los Angeles Dodgers clubhouse? And more importantly, can he coax a comeback year out of Andruw Jones?
- If stars like C.C. Sabathia and Grady Sizemore repeat career-best performances, the Cleveland Indians might even topple the mighty Tigers.