Homeowners can save big bucks on maintenance and keep their houses shipshape by mastering 10 simple skills, Allen Norwood observes for McClatchy Newspapers:
- Swap out your door locks: Remove a few bolts and screws and easily replace an existing lock for a new one.
- Become familiar with your filters: Note the size of your air-conditioning and furnace filters, where they're located and how to change them.
- Know how to cut the flow: Locate the main water cutoff (generally in a utility room or at your water tank); knowing how to close the gas valve is important, too.
- Zero in on the studs: If you're hanging something heavy, you can use the "tap-tap-tap routine" or look for finishing nails in the baseboard—they're in studs.
- Install a ceiling fan: It may take a few hours to complete this popular upgrade; don't forget to turn off the power at the breaker box.
Click the link below for the full list.